Thursday, September 22, 2005

Lavinius Gets Pulled Over in Corvette for First Time

Let's set the stage...

I'm riding home after having pizza with 10 other Canes fans at Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in Ft. Lauderdale, which by the way, is the best pizza I've had in south Florida.

After leaving Anthony's, I had to go meet somebody up in Pompano who was buying my ticket to the Canes/Colorado game this weekend (Note: I am unable to go because I will be in Baltimore to see the Sox try to make something out of this season). In any event, I get to Pompano, meet the guy there, sell my ticket, and make my way home.

On the way home, I call my dad. I am meeting him, Mama Lavinius, and Sister Lavinius in Baltimore tomorrow. They are driving down from Boston- me flying from Ft. Lauderdale. So I'm shooting the shit with my dad for about 10-15 minutes. I get to within two minutes of my house, still talking to Pops, and next thing I know, I see flashing blues in the rear view. Now I'm thinking, "what the fuck!"

Lavinius: Dad, I gotta go, I'm getting pulled over.
Papa Lavinius: You're getting pulled over?
Lavinius: Yeah, I'll call you back.
Papa Lavinius: Okay, bye

*Lavinius takes right turn into his neighborhood and pulls off to the right*

*rolls down window...bracing self for reprimand*

Officer: License and Registration
Lavinius: *reaches into glove box and wallet and retrieves contents*
Officer: *Looks over Contents*

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Lavinius: Was I speeding?
Officer: 62 in a 45
Lavinius: Wow. I'm usually good about not speeding. I had no idea. (/crock of shit)

Fuck! So now I'm thinking, "oh fuck, a ticket! Young guy, black Vette, late at night...this guy is nailing me with a ticket before I take off for the weekend."

Officer: Do you live around here?
Lavinius: Yeah, I live in this neighborhood, about two minutes away down the street (*points to street*)
Officer: (*hands back license and registration*)
Officer: Be careful next time
Lavinius: Thank you, sir.

Phew!

Honestly, I had no idea I was going that fast. Sometimes in the Vette, when I don't look at my odometer, I have no idea how fast I'm going (Note: I accelerated to 80 in a 45 earlier today just trying to get around slower traffic, and didn't even know it till I looked!.) Plus with me on my cell phone, and the roads practically empty, all I was thinking about was getting home and packing for my trip.

Man I dunno, maybe it was my clean shaven appearance, or maybe it was my boyish charm, but I am SHOCKED the officer, a man in his 60's (estimating), didn't slap me with a ticket. I'm just glad I haven't been nabbed for going 86 in a 45, like I did earlier today in an open road.

I love my Vette! But I gotta be a little more alert to things around me, and cut back the times I go 40+ mph over the speed limit in a 45 mph zone to once a day. (Bwahahahahaha!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so much for that nice radar detector you got!

;)

lavinius said...

First off, bite me. :)

Secondly, my detector has saved me, at a minimum, of two speeding tickets. So already, it has served its purpose. For all I know, the thing could have went off, but at that point of night on an empty road just two mins from Casa Lavinius, and on my cell with pops, the last thing I was thinking about was a speeding ticket.

Fortunately, all it amounted to was a reality check- a free lesson to "not take your eyes off the road; to pay attention to your odometer at all times as well as your surroundings."