Thursday, July 03, 2008

How could I forget my BIGGEST surprise of the first half?

This man deserves his own post, seriously.

Jon MFin Lester: The best story in baseball keeps getting better. As if a no-hitter wasn't enough, he shut the Yankees out in the Toilet-- the first time such a feat took place by a Red Sox pitcher since April 2004. It was the first CG shutout by a Red Sox pitcher since his own no-hitter on May 19.

He checks in with a 7-3 record with a sparkling ERA of 3.21, with two CG-shutouts on the resume including a no-no and a blanking of the Yankees. Did I mention he's a cancer survivor?

I'll be honest-- I didn't have this guy pegged for anything more than a middle of the rotation starter. Right now you could make the argument he's been the best pitcher on this staff. Modestly, he's gotta be top 5 for best lefty pitcher in the game: Johan, Hamels, Kazmir, Sabathia...and I think you can make an argument for Johnny Ballgame 5th, especially with the lackluster first half Erik Bedard has had.

Lester, you da man!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heidi "Don't You" Watney Baby?!

I concur on Lester and would go so far as to say he's been the staff ace this year, hands down. He's been the most reliable guy in the rotation and has come up big in big spots...