Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I Don't Heart Huckaby

With 3 past balls in his first game catching Wakefield, Josh Bard really didn't impress anyone. In fact, I wonder how long it would take the Sox to recall Ken Huckaby for "Wakefield-duties." It's one thing if Bard could actually contribute some offense, but his .237 lifetime BA and .288 career OBP says otherwise (157 games over 4 seasons). Unfortunately, Huckaby's numbers are worse (.223/.256 in 153 games).

The impact of Mirabelli's absence won't be known until the end of the season, but the most past balls Mirabelli let up in a season (40+ games started) was 15. Bard might hit that by mid-May.

I heart Mirabelli.

1 comment:

lavinius said...

Well, luckilly for us, we only need a backup catcher once every five days.

Bard was "Bar" yesterday, because he had no D.

I wouldn't mind putting Huckaby in there should Bard continue to struggle catching the knuckler. All I really want from my back-up catcher, i.e. Wake's personal catcher, is for him to catch that damn fluttering knuckler consistently. I'll stomach the 0 for 4s and 1 for 5s as long as he doesn't kill us with passed balls.

Dougie will be missed to be sure, but man, we spun our backup catcher for a starting second baseman with a decent track record-- so I'd make that trade again and again.